Ph.D. Checklist to Graduation
- Meet with faculty advisor before registering for first semester courses.
- Have past academic institutions send official transcripts to Office of Admissions.
- Meet regularly with faculty advisor to develop research plan.
- Begin forming graduate advisory committee with assistance from your faculty advisor.
- Develop degree plan with faculty advisor.
- Develop research plan and begin to finalize.
- Submit degree plan online early in this semester. This includes submission of names of your graduate advisory committee.
- Develop your research proposal with assistance from faculty advisor and committee, and submit at end of this semester. Form: Proposal Approval Form
- Schedule and complete preliminary exams. See all requirements here. Form: Preliminary Examination Checklist and Report
- Make steady progress completing courses and research, begin writing dissertation.
- Complete proposed lab and fieldwork to collect data, statistically evaluate data, begin writing dissertation.
- Meet the residence requirement.
- Confirm that all degree plan courses have been met, and that degree plan and advisory committee are correct in DPSS before final semester. Submit changes if necessary.
- Apply for graduation in Howdy portal early in final semester, pay graduation fee.
- Submit your dissertation to your advisory committee (at least three weeks before you plan to defend).
- Schedule dissertation defense with committee approval to OGAPS. Form: Request and Announcement of Final Examination.
- Email Madysen to receive the template for announcing your dissertation defense to the department.
- Present and defend dissertation.
- Make any necessary corrections to the dissertation. Submit signed approval form to OGAPS, and upload approved PDF file of the completed dissertation to etd.tamu.edu.
- Make any corrections the Thesis Office requires.
- Clear Thesis Office.
- Arrange for a cap and gown for graduation, then graduate!
For more information: http://ogaps.tamu.edu/New-Current-Students/Getting-a-Degree/Doctoral-Degree-Requirements